Thursday 4 October 2012

Why?


I’m really not clear why, or how, my interest in the existence of unseen worlds beyond the one I live in everyday came about, but it is reassuring that there are so many others like me. Most of us, when introducing ourselves to a physical or virtual group of fellow seekers simply say something like: “I have always been interested in/drawn to/ aware of spiritual matters”.

In my own case I suspect that it was the often painful difficulties of everyday life, interspersed with long periods of the simple dullness and monotony of the daily round that sparked my interest in anything ‘other,’ from the possibility of extra-terrestrial life, through magic, extra-sensory perception, ghosts, fairies and mysterious ancient religions. I didn’t put modern day religions into this ‘exciting’ category – I could see nothing mysterious at all in most of them. Maybe Christianity, present nearly every day at school or Sunday school, was just too much part of the mundane world I was trying to escape because, looking at it now, there isn’t anything much more mysterious than getting born to a virgin, and resurrecting from death in the flesh. Perhaps that stretched even my own credulity too far.

In my teens, my interest in all matters ‘other’ led me to an interest in psychology, and to Jung. Jung’s writings led to an interest in mysticism, and the possibility of enlightenment, i.e. fulfilling one’s ultimate potential as a human being. As an unsuccessful over-achiever (having a good part of what many psychotherapeutic  disciplines would call a ‘striver’ mentality in the make-up of my personality) I found this quite irresistible. To my great delight, I found that most schools of mysticism had underlying cosmologies that were considerably more detailed, logical and interesting than could be found in the opening chapters of the bible or in cosmological science. Starting with Gurdjieff, whose work can be linked to the esoteric school of Islam, i.e. Sufism, I went on to find out as much as I could about (among others) Vedanta, Plotinus, Plato, Zen Buddhism, Shamanism, the Tao, the Western mystery traditions, Kabbalah and, finally, Christian mysticism.

My most profound discovery was how similar are the practices and belief systems of all these different schools. However, the symbolism of each is rooted in a particular culture, and therefore symbolism varies from school to school. I think that I might be getting the most from Gnostic Christian Kabbalah because the symbols were rooted in my consciousness at a very early age.

But despite my interest and my considerable reading on the subject, taking it any further has been difficult. I have consciously made increasing efforts (not always successful) to live according to the golden rule of most traditions – be kind to all other creatures, but the demands of work, child-rearing, keeping house, and coping with myriad non-fatal but considerably debilitating illnesses have been paramount. My personality’s need for worldly success, a certain degree of power (more about that in later blogs) and a level of material comfort and aestheticism combined to keep my spiritual aspirations in the background – an intellectual hobby, rather than a way of life.

This has all recently changed, and that is what has prompted this daily blog – the desire to make contact with others in the same position as myself. Please join me, with your responses.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully put; I look forward to exploring these issues via your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nigel Wallace replies "Hello Helen,
    I am very interested in your blog and would have started responding earlier if this week had not been so extraordinarily busy for me. I respond now by email as my sister in Australia told me this morning that I had put a link to ‘Seeker in the foothills ‘ on my Facebook page!! I had been unaware of doing this!?
    So I need to get on with stating my support in tangible form!
    It is my intention to respond on a post by post basis but as you are now 13 days since your first posting I thought I’d just get started via email till I catch-up.

    I have read your posts on LIC for some years it seems, and have always been impressed at you articulateness and courage in 'entering into the fray' in the discussions there. Thank you for announcing this new blog of yours on LIC, it immediately attracted my attention.

    Your first post 'WHY' intrigued me greatly and I had a great time seeing how your journey and mine were the same and how they were different. I had a very Scottish Presbyterian upbringing with church, Sunday school, bible study and hymns in the car on holiday trips?! The personalised, superhuman God became increasingly fatuous, and I was desperate for a universal god that was believable and available unconditionally despite my shortcomings and indeed all of humanities shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nigel continues: "Like you I failed in those early years to see the mysterious in the Christian story, the church made it both mundane and unreachable and unbelievable. Faith and Grace being qualities that were always listed as a requirement and those ingredients felt quite beyond my reach. With the expanded reading of my teenage years and my deeper thinking, coming across Denis Wheatley and his 'Occult' novels intrigued me greatly. Here, it seemed to me was some 'evidence' that there was another way on looking at and experiencing the world, Magic, Occultism and Psychology all brought together in a wondrous glamorous mix.

    Theosophy was my first 'port of call', and in 1968 I joined the Edinburgh Branch and so my conscious education in the 'Perennial Philosophy started. Very soon after India beckoned along the hippy road and like you my encounters with eastern and esoteric religion expanded and deepened. I became a Baha'i for a time and then I 'met' Yoga and Hinduism, and Alan Watts. Zen and Tao. I did however turn westwards again and on returning to UK after some years became deeply interested in the work of Rudolf Steiner and Anthroposophy. I also joined 'The Universal Order' a long established college for the study and practice of comparative religion and spiritual philosophy and matters esoteric and academic. Plotinus and Plato, Celtic and early Christian mythology.etc.

    Next came Psychosynthesis, a real Kairological moment in my life. I started training with the Institute in London in the mid 1980s. Through this psychotherapy training many of the influences of the past came to first a focus and then an integration, and with an introduction to Ken Wilber and 'No Boundary' I knew ' I'd come home'. Integral theory and practice is now the background at least to all my study and practice although I will explore various approaches while looking for its integral application.

    After my training I came across a Psychosynthesis teacher/practitioner who turned out to be a teacher of Qabalah also. Although I read copiously and practiced diligently, built on my earlier study of the Qabalah of Dion Fortune. My deteriorating health curtailed my study and my practice

    Another Kairological event or episode was my own life challenging illness that resulted in a double lung transplant nearly 8 years ago and both the illness that gave rise to the need for the transplant as well as both the pre-op physical deterioration and the post-op recovery have been a profound learning experience for me. An interesting episode indeed.

    'Walking the Talk' is of course the greatest challenge that as a 'disciple' with which we are faced. As I'm sure you are aware as the Integral influence grows, more opportunities arise for a worldly expression of Integral and 2nd Tier values.

    In response to your invitation - Yes- I'll join you
    Now on to your second blog.
    Nigel Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nigel,
    Great to hear from you. I too studied at the Institute of Psychosynthesis in the 80s, starting there just as they moved the Summer School to Balls Park in Hertford.
    Is the Psychosynthesis teacher, who also taught Qabalah, Will Parfitt? I met with him a few times and have a couple of his books. Like you I also attended a few meetings at the Anthroposophy Society near Regents Park. There must have been something hovering in the air around Baker Street and Regents Park in the 80s, because it was there I first went to hear Warren Kenton. Through it all, he has been the biggest influence in my evolution. He's nearly 80 now, and still regularly teaching all over the world. I've been to talks given and meetings held by him several times this year.
    I'm sorry to hear of your illness, and the double transplant. Nothing like a serious illness for bringing you right into the present moment though is there?!
    Looking forward to more comments from you.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete